Sunday, January 30, 2011

YA Historical fiction challenge

Vixen (Flappers, #1)Vixen by Jillian Larkin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is the first book I read for YA Bliss: Young adult historical fiction challenge

I give the cover-art five stars.

I only give Vixen three out of five and to be honest I would like to only give it two and a half. My main problem with the book is that it took so long for me to care about any of the characters. I did not like any of them because they were to jealous, self involved, mean, or secretive. The characters do eventually open up and let you in.
The strong point of the story is the description of the speakeasy atmosphere. It starts out as the shiny forbidden fruit with beautiful flappers, great jazz music and booze. By the end it shows it's true colors a poison apple run by thugs.
The absolute saving grace is the heightened drama and surprise information at the end.

Even though I only give it three stars I would still recommend it and I will be reading the next book in the series.





View all my reviews


The next book I am reading for the challenge is  Wicked girls.


No comments: